Consumer Assistance Program (CAP)

Many states offer help to consumers with health insurance problems through Consumer Assistance Programs*. (CAPs). Through a federal grant, many States have established CAPs in order to better assist consumers experiencing problems with their health insurance or seeking to learn about health coverage options. State CAPs offer direct assistance by phone, direct mail, email, or walk-in locations to help consumers learn how to obtain or use their insurance effectively. CAPs play a critical role in ensuring that consumers are able to find health insurance and are able to access the benefits to which they are entitled.

Some CAPs continue to operate using federal grant funds, while other CAPs that are still in operation are funded exclusively through other mechanisms.

What is the Vehicle Retirement Program?

The Vehicle Retirement Program is administered by the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) and is designed to help improve California’s air quality. Through CAP, a consumer may retire a qualified vehicle and receive $1,000 or $1,500 if the consumer meets low income eligibility guidelines.

How do I participate in Vehicle Retirement?

You must submit a completed CAP application. To apply online, click here or contact the Department of Consumer Affairs’ Consumer Information Center at (800) 952-5210.

Are there documents I should submit with my application?

If your household income meets the low income eligibility requirement (225% of the federal poverty level), you may be required to provide documentation verifying your household income. Click here for a list of acceptable income documents.

Is there a deadline to take my vehicle to the dismantler?

Yes. You must take your vehicle to a CAP contracted dismantler prior to the expiration date indicated on your Letter of Eligibility.

Do all owners listed on the vehicle’s registration need to be present at the dismantler site to retire the vehicle?

Yes. If any of the registered owner(s) cannot be present, a DMV Power of Attorney form (REG 260 or REG 262) must be completed by the owner(s) designating someone else permission to retire the vehicle on their behalf.

Do I need to show the dismantler photo identification?

Yes. All registered owners and designees must present their driver license or other photo identification. Designees must also provide a copy of the registered owner(s) photo identification.

Can the dismantler give me a ride home?

No. You are responsible for arranging your own transportation home.

What are the requirements to retire my vehicle through CAP?

Eligibility requirements are available here.

How will I be notified if I qualify?

After your application is processed, you will be mailed a determination letter. In general, CAP applications are processed in approximately eight (8) weeks from the date of receipt.

If approved, what can I expect?

If approved, you will receive a Letter of Eligibility which will provide specific instructions on how to successfully retire your vehicle through CAP. Included will be a list of auto dismantlers authorized by BAR to retire your vehicle.

Where do I take my vehicle?

You must choose from the list of auto dismantlers authorized by BAR to retire CAP vehicles. Click here for a list of dismantler or call the Department of Consumer Affairs, Consumer Information Center at (800) 952-5210. Always contact the dismantler prior to arriving to ensure they are able to accept CAP vehicles. Some dismantlers require appointments.

What if I do not have the original title to my vehicle or the title to my vehicle is altered (i.e., crossed out information)?

If you do not have the original title or have an altered title, you must contact the auto dismantler you plan to visit for further instructions.

Where can I get the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) forms I need?

You can obtain DMV forms on DMV’s website, at any DMV office, or by contacting the DMV Call Center at (800) 777-0133.

When will I get paid for my vehicle?

If your vehicle passes the equipment and operational inspection, the dismantler will immediately issue a check made out to the registered owner(s).

Where can I get more information?

Contact CAP at (866) 272-9642. CAP agents are available to answer calls Monday through Friday, 8:10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. BAR offices are closed on Saturdays, Sundays, and state holidays.